As part of the Delimitation/Demarcation and Capacity Building Programmes of the African Union Border Programme (AUBP) a Boundary Information System (BIS) is being established in the African Union. The BIS seeks to establish a Database of boundary and border related information relating to all African Countries.
Specifically, the BIS being established is aimed at:
- The storage, presentation and retrieval of varied data relating to African borders such as Status of a given boundary
- Background data such as maps, satellite imagery etc
- Responsible agencies for border management
- Position of demarcation marks, border land infrastructures etc
- Processing boundary record such as coordinate transformations and analysis
- Recording border activities and datasets of cross-border cooperation.
The AU is currently looking for a Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer to develop the project.